Wednesday, June 15, 2011

General Surgery Rotation Day 3 OR Observation 15-June-2011

This was the first day that I was able to see a complete surgery done at the OR. At the start of the day I met with Dr. Fan at 9:10 where he performed a removal of a suspected cancerous lesion (firm and immobile) in a patient’s lower extremity. Even though Dr. Fan said it was a very simple procedure I was excited to see him in action and interesting to hear him explain about the whole process. Later on in the afternoon Bor-Han and I got to see a laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) which uses four ports. The procedure was done by one of the residents with the chief resident as a teacher and under the supervision of Dr. Ou, Liang-Hung (Dr. 歐亮宏), Dr. Fan was also present most of the time and offered us many explanations on what was happening during the procedure. Dr. Ou also took some time to explain to us about the different types of laparoscopic procedures currently in use including ones done with natural orifices such as with an endoscope and offered to let us see a single port laparoscopic procedure such as an appendectomy if one becomes available. Overall it was very interesting to see a complete procedure from the start, anesthesia to finish, removal of the gallbladder and suture. I will be looking forward to the rest of the days in the surgical department. Now for some pictures with our scrubs on, guess mine turned out blurry:

Me in scrubs:
Bor-Han in scrubs:

1 comment: