Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pediatrics Day 1 27-June-2011

8:10 am started the day on the 5th Floor meeting room situated behind the nursing station at the pediatrics meeting. Over the course about 30 minutes many cases were discussed, the major concerns seemed varied from otitis media, unknown skin rashes to asthma and infant jaundice. The most interesting discussion at the meeting was about a patient with a strawberry tongue, as it sparked a talk about Kawasaki disease and scarlet fever. After the meeting Sandy and I followed Dr. Wu, Wen-Chiu (Dr. 吳文秋), he showed us around the ward including the neonate-infant room and the empty new born room. Dr. Wu commented on the low birth rate in Taiwan (the lowest in the world currently) explained that there had only been two deliveries in the hospital for the entire month which occurred last week. As we continued through the ward I was able to see a real strawberry tongue, I don’t think I will ever forget what a text book strawberry tongue after that experience. At 9:30 Dr. Wu gave Sandy and I a lecture on common Airway problems in pediatrics. There was some review in the lecture including common pathogens that will be encountered, how different seasons and school affects transmissions of infectious diseases. Also the mechanism, treatment, screening and testing for asthma. Dr. Wu had a series of different inhalers and peak flow meters that are used for patient education which he ran us through. The time seemed to fly by in pediatrics for some reason or another as it the end of the day before I noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment