Friday, June 10, 2011

6/10/2011- General TCM, Oncology TCM - Jessica

Today is the last day of our first week of rotation. Mickey and I, along with other groups, bought some small gifts to our respective preceptors. I left the gift I brought from the US at home, so Mickey and I bought some chocolate covered strawberries yesterday while grocery shopping at Carefour supermarket (next to IKEA) for our preceptors. However, we noticed that the preceptors in general showed great resistant to receiving the gifts. We were wondering if it is a hospital policy thing or just because it is inconvenient for the doctors to eat food during office time.

We started the day with Dr. Chen (陳建安醫師) who we rotated with before on Wednesday. However, he had a busier schedule today compare to Wednesday, so when Dr. Chen (陳駿逸醫師) from oncology came visit, Dr. Chen graciously agreed to take us in. Coincidentally, Dr. Chen (from oncology) also studied TCM, in fact, he and Dr. Chen (from TCM) were upper and lower classmen (學長弟) and he is about to teach Amanda, Bor-Han, and Sandy acupuncture basic principles today. So we end up tagging along with them and was given a quick overview of acupuncture. We were introduced to the basic acupuncture principles and some basic well-known acupuncture points. We were even given the chance to practice needling (on self or each other of course)! The whole experience was just eye-opening, fun, and interactive. We learned the points and its basic therapeutic effects and how to evaluate if the needle has reached the right point through the phenomenon of De Qì (得氣, the sense of numbness, pain, or tingling during needling that indicate successful stimulation of the acupuncture point). After observing so many days of acupuncture, I was very excited to be able to finally try it myself. Although it seemed a little traumatic for some of us, but I think all of us learned a lot during the session and actually had a lot of fun too.

We went to the basement restaurant again today for lunch and YuYu met us there to inform us that the schedule remained unchanged after all. We discussed a little bit more with YuYu about possible sight-seeing places for this weekend. Since both Amanda and I won't be around this weekend, the responsibility of tour guide rest solely on Bor-Han, and I was able to relieve my sacred duty! Toward the end of lunch, YuYu came again to inform us that there was a surgery meeting that we were welcomed to join. We all hurried there and learned about an adverse effect of phenytoin (Stevens-Johnson syndrome) that is significantly more prevalent in the Han-Chinese population.

One interesting thing was Amanda helped us figure out the exact price of the lunch set there. Although it is not that related to the academic experience, for the sake of future students who are fixated at eating good food like me, I will include the information here as well: the basic set for $NT50 includes rice, soup, and 4 courses (1 main entree/meat dish + 3 vegetable/side dishes), each additional entree cost $NT20, and each additional side dishes will cost $NT10 more.

In the afternoon, we started by following Dr. Ho again, observing his outpatient clinic until around 3pm. And then with Dr. Ho's permission, continued the morning acupuncture introduction with Dr. Chen in the remaining time. During this time, Dr. Chen continued with his introduction to acupuncture and also briefly covered some scientifically proven ways acupuncture can be used to support cancer treatments. I was surprised by how much research has already been done on acupuncture by the western medical field as well as by how enthusiastic Dr. Chen is at teaching students. I sincerely feel that we are very lucky indeed to be able to have preceptors like Dr. Chen who is truly committed to teaching the students and still feel such passion toward his field of study even after these many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment