We went to meet with the superintendent at 11. That was pretty cool. He's so nice. He is a busy man and he took time to meet with us students.
In the afternoon, we went on ward run. I saw the same patients I did on Monday. They all seemed to be doing better. They were more alert this time.
In the ICU, an old female patient suffered ischemic stroke, most likely due to her A.Fib. She was being monitored carefully to prevent edema which develops 4 days, and she had been in the hospital for 2 days. I learned about neurological index: eyes are rated 1-4; best verbal respponse 1-5; best motor response 1-6; arms 1-5 (There are more categories but I didn't get them all down).
I also learned about:
Cogwheel rigidity (def from medical dictionary): muscle response with cogwheel- like jerks to the use of force in bending the limb (e.g. Parkinson)
Lead pipe ridigity: a state of inflexibility and stiffness that remains uniform throughout the range of passive motion --> associated with disease of basal ganglia
I would go on youtube to watch how the techniques are performed
On brain CT, old stroke appears as dark as CSF while new stroke is darker than brain matter but lighter than CSF
Plasticity develops 1-2 weeks after stroke
Later that day, we went to EMG lab
Indications for NCV include: CTS; ulnar neuropathy; peripheral neuropathy; brachial plexopathy; radiculopathy; myasthenia gravis; muscle disease
Indications for EMG include: radiculopathy; neuropathy; muscle diseases; motor neuron diseases
No comments:
Post a Comment